Saturday, February 15, 2014

Winter Olympics, Africa Mercy Style

     Living on the Africa Mercy, as I've said before, is a very unique experience. A mix of nations and backgrounds all represented on a ship registered in Malta working for the same purpose off the coast of Africa. And all that has come together to make this, in my opinion, the most interesting place to watch the Olympics. Getting to watch one of the most international sporting events surrounded by (at the moment) thirty-three other nations has made this past week of watching the Olympics a memorable one. You are cheering for you country along with a handful of other while there are multiple others urging on their fellow countrymen.
     When I realized that I would be in Africa during the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics I became a little disappointed that
I probably wouldn't be able to watch them. Last winter Olympics was the first time I really became interested in watching and was looking forward to this years. But much to my delight a satellite station has been tuned to a South African (a country who I don't believe has any participants in this Olympics but hey why not have an entire channel devoted to it anyways? And also this makes for highly entertaining commentary along with all of the sports) broadcast of the Olympics. Sure there are times when it is a bit laggy (which is very annoying whilst trying to watch a hockey game) or just doesn't work at all but we are in Congo after all so to see coverage of it at all is great.  
     An entire section of midships has been dedicated to those of us who enjoy cheering on our own, or other's, countries. A number of flags have been brought over from the International Lounge to make it a bit more festive, a schedule has been posted for the whole Olympics with something on at every hour, and a medal count leader board is hanging on the wall. All in all I think this is a fantastic and exciting place to watch the Olympics and I'm going to continue cheering on Canada (with my Olympic Canada gear and my flag) from my ship home in Africa.
Alberta!
     And speaking of my country we had a fantastic get together last Monday for all the Canadians on board, just because. There happen to be thirty-six of us from various places across Canada and we all enjoyed some Timmy's coffee, homemade donughts, Quebec sugar pie and 100% Canadian maple syrup. Afterwards a number of us went down to watch some Olympic coverage only to get there in time to see Canada take the gold and silver in men's moguls. Good timing and a great evening. Since I've been confined to the ship most of this week and weekend due to having the pager I haven't been able to get out much so the Olympics occupied a large part of my week. Hope you are all enjoying the Olympics wherever you happen to be!
Posing as beavers


No comments:

Post a Comment